Some of it will be good.
Some of it will be downright awful.
Much of it will be given with good intentions. And just as much will be unwanted or unneeded, regardless of the intent.
So, with people handing out advice like candy on Halloween... How are overjoyed, overwhelmed, first time parents suppose to know what is good advice and what is terrible?
Better yet, how is any parent (because the advice doesn't stop whether you have 1 or 10 kids) suppose to know?
You just don't.
I have a love/hate relationship with parenting advice.
So my second piece of advice (yep, I'm somewhat of a hypocrite) to parents would be that there is no right way and to make educated decisions about their own child(ren).
The other day in a group I'm in, some moms were sharing the best and worst advice they've ever received. It was so terrible and wonderful, that I've compiled this awesome list for you of the worse ones! Feel free to laugh hysterically and/or yell 'WTF!' at your screen.
Baths and Potty Advice1. When you bathe your baby, don't get too much water in the creases or they will get moldy.
2. Babies are self cleaning for the first year. No need to bathe.
3. Put poop on her thumb so she'll stop sucking it.
Related Post: 5 Tips to Surviving College as a Mom
Feeding Advice4. If you don't drink cow's milk everyday, your body won't make milk for your baby.
5. Vegans can't breastfeed.
6. Your newborn is gassy from too much breastmilk. Give them some water
7. Nurse on a schedule.
8. Breastfeeding after baby is 6 month old is pointless because baby doesn't get any benefits after that and it's for your own sick pleasure if you continue to do so.
Related Post: What is a surrogate mother?
10. Put your preemie on her tummy to sleep.
11. Give your kids benadryl if they won't sleep. 6 weeks old? 6 months old? Who cares?
12. Give your 6 week old cereal in their bottle, so they'll wake up less to eat.
Related Post: Weaning & 6 Nursing Triggers
Miscellaneous Advice13. Children are to be seen and not heard.
14. Don't pick up your baby every time they cry or they'll be spoiled.
15. Holding your baby too much will hurt her.
16. I've already raised this many kids, so I know better/more than you do.
17. Babies need daycare so they can socialize.
18. Spank your kids who disobey. Spank them harder. Spank them until you break their spirit.
19. Loosen his car seat straps, so he can move around more.
20. It is a disservice to your child to homeschool.
Best or worse parenting advice you've ever received?